• Profile photo of iloveblondesiloveblondes

Well, that’s the mutation I carry. My husband’s is DF508. My sister had cf and had those 2 mutatons. we have a daughter, but she does not have cf. my sister was fairly healthy until her 20s, though.

Profile photo of iloveblondesiloveblondes

Well, that’s the mutation I carry. My husband’s is DF508. My sister had cf and had those 2 mutatons. we have a daughter, but she does not have cf. my sister was fairly healthy until her 20s, though.

Profile photo of iloveblondesiloveblondes

Profile photo of unclecraigyunclecraigy

Looks like Steve reported on this 10/08/2007, although it isn’t overly helpful…

“MaryAnn,

The 2942insT is not that common but we have seen it several times. It is difficult to say exactly since I only have a few cases and the second mutation is different in each case. However, based on the mutation type and if combined with deltaF508 it could fall into the typical CF classification. Of course remember that all CF is variable and not everyone with the same mutations will have the same disease. ”

Just google some of the text above, and it should take you to the right spot.

“MaryAnn,

The 2942insT is not that common but we have seen it several times. It is difficult to say exactly since I only have a few cases and the second mutation is different in each case. However, based on the mutation type and if combined with deltaF508 it could fall into the typical CF classification. Of course remember that all CF is variable and not everyone with the same mutations will have the same disease. ”

“MaryAnn,

Profile photo of JennyJoyJennyJoy

Thanks Dana — I didn’t know anything about a 6th class.

Profile photo of DebiDebi

cff.org actually has some info on this. Apparently they’ve added a 6th Class.

CFF.org link re mutation classes

There is more info in the link, but here is their chart:

Class 1 – stop signal in CF gene occurs too soon; no CFTR is made
    Class 2 – CFTR is misfolded keeping it from reaching the right place; affects 80 percent of CF patients
    Class 3 – CFTR is made and in right place, but does not function normally
    Class 4 – Opening in CFTR is faulty
    Class 5 – CFTR is made in smaller than normal quantities
    Class 6 – CFTR degrades too fast; not enough protien is present

Class 2 – CFTR is misfolded keeping it from reaching the right place; affects 80 percent of CF patients

I wanted to add that I saw a discussion once that broke down the five classes as this:

Class 1 — the CFTR protein is not made at all
    Class 2 — the wrong protein is made
    Class 3 — the right protein is made, but is blocked from being released
    Class 4 — the right protein is made, but the passage way to release it is faulty and limits the amout released.
    Class 5 — the right protein is made, but the passage way is inconsistent.

This is based on my not so great memory from over 2 years ago, so I apologize if I have this incorrect, but this was my take on it.

I wanted to add that I saw a discussion once that broke down the five classes as this:

Class 4 — the right protein is made, but the passage way to release it is faulty and limits the amout released.

This is based on my not so great memory from over 2 years ago, so I apologize if I have this incorrect, but this was my take on it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.