This recipe and picture were submitted by cysticfibrosis.com member haimapatel. She is the first winner of the Probiotic/Prebiotic Recipe Contest and will receive a $50 Amazon gift card. The recipe looks easy to follow and delicious! Please give it a try.
You can thank her and ask her questions in this thread in the contests forum.
Instructions for entering the contest can be found here. We’re still accepting entries!
YOGURT by haimapatel
The best probiotic is in yogurt!
My homemade yogurt is part of our dinner daily. Just a few spoonfuls are good for the gut. Mixed with rice, or just as a side with any dish.
- Half gallon milk (can be full fat or half or 2% or even fat free).
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt with probiotic (GOPI yogurt is a good one). Keep it out of fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 110° Fahrenheit.
- Boil milk on stovetop until you see bubbles forming on the surface.
- Cool pan in ice water to 110° Fahrenheit. (Thermometer is handy.)
- Add 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt and whisk it in. Electric whisk does better.
- Pour into a stainless steel or glass container and place in oven.
- Turn off oven and keep oven light on overnight.
- In the morning, take out of oven and set aside for about half hour before putting in fridge.
- Consume over next few days until you are down to 3 tablespoons and make again using this culture.
Much cheaper and healthier than buying ready made plain yogurt!